20 years of Mujhse Shaadi Karogi EXCLUSIVE: “Duggal sahab was inspired from a real person,” reveals writer Rumy Jafry

David Dhawan’s Mujhse Shaadi Karogi turned out to be yet another success for him in the comedy genre. The film completes 20 years today (July 30). Starring Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra, the movie is still being enjoyed by the audience. It told the story of Sameer (Salman) who has had anger issues since childhood. After growing up, he relocates to Goa where he falls in love with Rani (Priyanka). However, luck keeps ditching him and on top of that, he has to deal with his new flat mate, the naughty Sunny (Akshay).

Duggal Sahab inspired from THIS real person

Mujhse Shaadi Karogi is known for the performance and start power of Salman, Akshay and Priyanka. However, the late Kader Khan in the role of Duggal sahab also gained equal importance for his strange illness. In fact, one can find numerous memes and posts on Duggal sahab on social media today. For the unversed, the character suffered through a rare condition in which becomes blind one day, deaf the other day and so on. Funnily, the film also showed him becoming child-like on day.

Not many would know that the character of Duggal sahab was inspired from a real person. In other words, there was actually a person who had such an illness. This trivia was shared with Bollywood Hungama by the film’s dialogue writer Rumy Jafry in an exclusive interview.

He told us that he always ensures that there is something unusual or funny about the characters he creates. He was wondering what different can he do with Kader Khan’s character of a landlord. “I was a bit restless thinking what type of character should he be,” said Jafry. “Rahul Rawail’s father HS Rawail’s best friend was known as Ridku uncle, who was like his uncle and stayed at their house. He was a dwarf and used to appear in a lot of HS Rawail’s films and the industry knew him.”

He continued, “When I was writing Anjaam, Rahul ji told me that his uncle had an unusual illness. Sometimes after waking up, he wouldn’t be able to hear. Sometimes, he wouldn’t be able to see. So, I thought this can be a good fit for the character (of Duggal sahab). But Rahul ji said the audience won’t believe it. I said even if they don’t, I will. So, I gave this characterization to Duggal sahab.”

But Rumy Jafry had to face an unusually scary situation right before the shoot. “My brother Aman (Jaffery) was working with Rahul ji. He told me that Rahul ji has also used this character in his film Jo Bole So Nihaal, which was to go on floors. I was shocked! I called Rahul ji and he accepted that he was written this character for his film. I said I have also written, and the film is about to start shoot. He asked whether in my film the character is helping the story and screenplay, or it is just added for comedy. I said it is helping my story and screenplay. So, he said he will remove that character from his film. It was such a big gesture that he did on the phone itself,” said Jafry.

Rajpal Yadav signed the film without knowing his character

Rajpal Yadav had become a star in those days through a series of funny and memorable performances. For this reason, producer Sajid Nadiadwala badly wanted him on board. “But there was no character decided for him,” said Jafry. “Days later, Rajpal called me and said that he has just signed the film and Sajid bhai told him that after Akshay and Salman, his role is the most prominent. He asked when he should come for a narration. I got scared as I had no role for him. I said I am busy for a week, and I straightaway called Sajid.”

Jafry continued, “I asked Sajid, ‘What role did you tell him?’ He said, ‘I made him agree for the film. Now it’s up to you.’ On the other hand, Rajpal kept calling me and saying that he is very eager to listen to his role and when should he come. Gradually, the date of the shoot neared. Rajpal said, ‘Bhaiya ab toh sunao!’ He also asked how he should work on the character and what costumes he would need to wear. I realized I can’t avoid him anymore, so I asked him to meet the next morning.”

The same evening, Jafry was wondering what character he should narrate to him. Just then, he found two roles for him – one was the member of the Eagle gang, and the other was the priest Shastri ji, who helps Salman’s character find a house. “At 10:30 or 11 pm, I suddenly thought why not make this into a double role? We can show them as twins – one became a ruffian and the other an astrologer and priest. It would be complete contrast. So, I called Sajid at around 11:30 or 12 and told him the idea. He got impressed and instantly asked me to go ahead with it,” he said.

Jafry wanted Mujhse Shaadi Karogi to appear different than one of his earlier films  

Mujhse Shaadi Karogi showed two guys (Salman and Akshay) falling for the same girl (Priyanka). Rumy Jafry had already written a film on these lines. Hence, his only concern was that MSK shouldn’t look similar to that film. “The main subject was by K Bhagyaraj. When I sat down to write, the biggest challenge was that I already had done a film on similar lines, which was Deewana Mastana. It becomes very difficult for a writer. After 10, 20 and 30 scenes there comes the interval. But what after that?”

Revealing his strategy to tackle this, he revealed, “I intentionally kept the level of entertainment very high and added freshness to the scenes. I added a prologue about the protagonist having a lot of anger, which was bottled up. And then in the climax it is revealed that this wasn’t a love triangle and Akshay was his childhood friend, who had come to calm down his anger and get him united to Priyanka. Hence, it turned out to be very different from Deewana Mastana.” He also added that David Dhawan gave a fresh and colourful look to the film and its sets were a talking point in the industry back then.

Amrish Puri’s hesitant casting

Jafry suggested Amrish Puri’s name to play colonel sahab and Priyanka’s father. His character keeps getting hit unintentionally by Salman’s character. “I had worked with him before, so I knew his thought-process and the kind of international actor he was,” he said. “He was also conscious about his image. But Sajid and David had thought about another actor. I suggested Amrish ji’s name. But they said he is a very big actor. I said that exactly will become the highlight. People will think ‘Football padi kisko? Chaataa pada kisko? Amrish ji ko!’”

Jafry added, “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge did well also because of Amrish ji. People would worriedly think, ‘Kajol’s father is Amrish ji, oh shit he won’t give her permission for the trip’ and ‘What would happen if he recognized Shah Rukh (Khan)? Baap re’. So, I said his image will help our movie. They said he wouldn’t agree. I said he would. And Amrish ji did agree. Kya imandaari se unhone kaam kiya tha!”

Also Read: SCOOP: Karan Johar hits PAUSE on his war films with Salman Khan and Kartik Aaryan – Here’s Why!

The post 20 years of Mujhse Shaadi Karogi EXCLUSIVE: “Duggal sahab was inspired from a real person,” reveals writer Rumy Jafry appeared first on Bollywood Hungama.



from Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/w7tHsx4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kisi Ka Bhai Kisi Ki Jaan Box Office: Salman Khan’s film enters Rs. 100 Crore Club, aims to cross Jai Ho next

Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt pose cutely for the paparazzi; share a kiss

Drake places $250,000 high-stakes bet on Shah Rukh Khan’s Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL finals